I have nothing against people who like to party. Partying is really fun, and many times I’m right there having a great time too. But we all know “those people” who really like to drink, and like to do it often. Not only do these people take their own drinking a little too far; they’re pretty much experts at pressuring others to keep up with them. They often use ridicule, guilt, kindness, logic, peer pressure, and dozens of other tactics to get everyone around them to keep the party going so that they aren’t making an ass of themselves alone. These friends are fun to have, until they aren’t. As fun as it is to party, sometimes you want to go out and have a good time without regretting it the next day. It is nice to have a way to hit it a little less hard, preferably without drawing attention to your secret plan.
- Supplement: Before you hit the nightclub, be sure to consume a couple capsules of activated charcoal and carry some with you if you feel like you might need more. Activated charcoal is frequently used in the area of accidental ingestion of poisons. The charcoal will bind to any toxins in your body and help clear them out faster to prevent feeling like total crap the next day.
- Drink clear liquids: Clear liquids like gin and vodka look like ice that has melted. So if you don’t want to finish every drink that comes your way, you can always leave a little in your old glass, and no one will notice you aren’t tossing back as much as everyone else is.
- Alternate with water: Alternating with water is a tried-and-true way to both cut back on alcohol and stay hydrated, thus preventing the dreaded hangover. Every other drink or two go to the bar and ask for some water. You don’t need to make excuses for this: you’re thirsty and will get another drink in a second. Just be sure to finish the water and feel free to take your time.
- Drink light beer: If you prefer to drink beer and you know you’ll have to get through more than you’ve bargaining for, opt for lighter beers. Light beers tend to be only 4% alcohol content, while many are 10%.
- Order half shots: If you are in charge of ordering your own drinks and vodka or gin isn’t your thing, ask for your regular mixed drink, but request a half shot instead of a normal one. You’ll still get the enjoyment of drinking, but each drink will contribute less to tomorrow’s pain.
- Order drinks that look like alcohol (but aren’t): Gin & tonic with lime is my favorite go- to drink on drinking nights with friends, and it’s awesome for several reasons. Besides being easily palatable and sugar free, it gives you the option of leaving out the gin altogether. Just order a club soda or tonic with lime and ask the bartender to make it look like a cocktail—they are usually more than happy to fulfill your request.
- Be forgetful: You don’t have to be limited to clear liquids to abandon the occasional half- full glass. Leave your drink on the bar, in the bathroom, on a random table, or anywhere it won’t attract attention. That way when someone hands you another, you’re ready. This works best if you aren’t the one paying for all of those “forgotten” drinks.
- Show up late: If you need to make an appearance at a special occasion that involves drinking, but would rather not sacrifice your liver, show up forty- five minutes late. Everyone else will already be one or two drinks ahead of you.
Do you have a clever trick to add to my list? Please share in the comment section below!
Latest posts by Naomi Teeter (see all)
- The 5 Mental Farts Holding You Back - May 9, 2017
- 5 Ways You Can Help Your Partner Lose Weight - May 6, 2017
- 1 Minute With Naomi: How to Eat What You Want and Lose Weight - May 5, 2017
- 1 Minute With Naomi: Are the Sacrifices Worth the Result? - April 28, 2017
- How Anxiety Has Affected My Health and What I Plan To Do About It - April 27, 2017