If you’re like me, you see articles and info graphics online and popular media that link deodorants and anti-perspirants to breast cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Whether the claims are true or not, it’s enough to freak a person out! It’s good to remember that what we put on to our body is just like eating it. You can go to the Skin Deep website to find out how harmful all of your cosmetic and beauty products are.
With all of that said, the best way to stay healthy is to make your own deodorant. It doesn’t take very long to make and it’s pretty darn easy. And best of all, it actually works!!!! I make them in a batch of about 5 or 6, so that my husband and I don’t have to make them super frequently and they seem to last just as long as ordinary deodorant does. These deodorants will not stain your clothing and you do not need to wait between applying deodorant and getting dressed (as long as you did not apply too much). Since this is a deodorant and not anti-perspirant, you will still sweat a bit, but you will not stink!
Sweet Pits Recipe:
2 Tbsp. Coconut oil
2 Tbsp. Mango (or Shea) butter
1 Tbsp. Yellow Beeswax pellets
2 Tbsp. Arrowroot powder
3 Tbsp. Baking Soda (do not use baking powder instead because it has aluminum in it!)
Essential Oils (optional)
Glass jar or deodorant tube
1. Combine mango butter, beeswax, and coconut oil in a quart size (or larger) glass mason jar (wide-mouth works best) and place this in a small saucepan of water, stir until melted. You can designate this jar for future deodorant making projects and not need to wash it out.
2. Remove the jar from heat and add baking soda and arrowroot powder.
3. Mix well and then at last, add essential oils (we LOVE lemongrass) and pour into a glass container or deodorant tube for storage. It does not need to be stored in the fridge.
“My armpits don’t smell like armpits! What is this stuff made of? This stuff is magic, I only applied it once yesterday and I woke up with sweet pits! I thought I was just a smelly lady and there was nothing I could do about it, thanks sweet pits! My family thanks you too!” -Emily
Latest posts by Naomi Teeter (see all)
- GET INSPIRED TO RUN YOUR BUNS OFF - August 7, 2019
- The Effects of Childhood Trauma on Weight Loss - August 6, 2018
- A Typical Day of Living Healthfully For Me (March 2018 Edition) - March 4, 2018
- The First Step On My Weight Loss Journey Required Bravery - December 21, 2017
- How to Make Positive, Lasting Change from a Place of Self-Love - December 20, 2017